Thursday, August 30, 2012

Off The Hook

PhonePhoto by HeatedGround

Finally after years of trying, I have an announcement to make...

We're canceling our landline.

I know that some of you have been waiting to hear this news and others may have thought it might not ever happen. In our defense, we've been trying since we graduated from college. We've tried it in numerous different houses, including Mrs. K's parents' when we were between houses. To make it even worse, it seemed like everywhere we went people had canceled their landlines. It made me want to so bad. Well today, finally, the day has come.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited to be canceling our landline today. It's something we use maybe once a week, but pay almost $40 a month to have. It may just be me, but $10 per phone call is a bit much. I could take a taxi to a pay phone in town, buy some lunch and taxi home for less money per call. $500/year in my, I mean our, pocket. That's right we have one pocket. Sharing is caring after all.

I realize (Mrs. K told me) that I've been on a bit of a cancelation binge lately. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty for indulging in the extravagances of more than four TV channels and a home telephone. I'm just putting things out there that we are doing that will hopefully allow us to 1) have the option to live on a single income in the future, 2) retire early and 3) see the world (and by world I mean anywhere that I don't have to fly to get to). That being said, I think we're done with the cancelations for awhile. Although, I'm watching you second car, be afraid, be very afraid.

How much do you pay for your landline? Or are you off the hook like us?

6 comments:

  1. We are off the hook for closing in on two weeks now and haven't missed the landline once. We were only paying $32.95 per month; $19.95 for phone and $13 for bs (and yes I mean BS***). I was only able to call people in five cities or more like villages (about 10,000 people) and had no fun features. I pay less for my cell phone and can call literally anyone, text, use the internet, take pictures, and I have all the fun features (call waiting, caller ID, voicemail, etc)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now a part of the club. Ours ended up being about $25, plus I lowered the internet speed to save another $10. We couldn't call anyone more than a few miles away too. Such a waste.

      Delete
  2. We finally cancelled ours a year or so ago. We just never used it! Only a few telamarketers a month called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was almost to the point of calling telemarketers just to get the phone a little usage.

      Delete
  3. I am reluctant to get rid of ours. I am always guaranteed service which is important to me with my 4 children. I usually have amazing service with my cell phone but don't want to risk it, yet. I would need to get another cell phone to keep as my home phone. I also run my own business out of my home and a lot of people have that number. I guess that I could have the extra cell phone be that number .... just a bit reluctant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see keeping a landline around if you have children. We may have to revisit it if that ever happens to us.

      Delete