Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Quick Money Saving Tip

curlsPhoto by JodyDigger
Here's a quick money saving tip that I learned in college and used last weekend. Don't pay someone to cut your hair when you have someone nearby who will willing (or begrudgingly) do it for free. Although, if you're reading this while in college, be careful who is volunteering to cut your hair for free. Maybe a breathalyzer screening would be in order before anyone plays with the scissors.

Obviously this advice is probably tilted a bit toward the male reader. After all the times I've let Mrs. K trim my manly mane, she has yet to let me cut a single strand of her hair. Sure she says she'll let me have a stab at it, but when I break out the scissors she all of a sudden has the desire to weed the garden. Go figure.

Fair warning, if you're having a spouse cut your hair it can put a little stress on the relationship. The first few times there will be tears, tempers and maybe a little blood. But I'm here to tell you that it gets easier. Thankfully it also gets quicker too. I remember one of our first home hair cutting sessions back in college. We were watching TV as I was getting a trim and there was a tornado warning off to the west about two hours away. Well, I'll be damned if we didn't have to interrupt the haircut still in progress and head for shelter.

The best part for me, other than saving money, is that I get to avoid the standard haircut conversations. Not that I blame them, it's sort of part of the job I guess. However, I'm a bit socially awkward. I'd rather sit in a chair and get a cavity filled than sit in a chair while being asked questions by a stranger who couldn't care less about the answer. Which means unless I've done something to really tick Mrs. K off, it's much more enjoyable getting my hair cut at home.

There you have it. A quick way to save a few bucks a month, without too much work. Although I'm not sure Mrs. K feels the same way.

7 comments:

  1. I have tried this...but Greg will not let me cut his hair! He said that it is never going to happen under any circumstances =(

    Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gone much smoother since I watched a few tutorials online and ditched the clippers. :) Scissors are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to watch a tutorial or two myself about using a scissors. Apparently it is no longer cool for my husband to have his mom cut his hair...it is now my job. It is more difficult than it looks to use a clipper to make the back short, keep the top longer and make it blend! By the way, I usually also get my hair cut for free (not by my husband) and pay once a year or so to make sure everything is evened out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not going to say things were bad before the tutorials but it has definitely gotten better since.

      Delete
  4. I cut the hair of 4 of my 5 family members. One girl but she has straight hair that is all one length. Simple but not necessarily easy. I do use the clippers on 2 of the boys and scissors on the other male. Maybe a tutorial will help but he's only 4 so he will always look cute no matter what I do. ;) No one touches my hair with scissors except for the occasional bang trimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four free haircuts must add up to a lot of savings.

      Delete